An outcome of the 2013 Lewisham Mental Health Conference, the Lewisham Mental Health Connection has gone from strength to strength in 2014.
Our keen early members came together in January 2014 – all very committed to working together to improve mental health in Lewisham.
The spirit of openness and sharing has prevailed throughout 2014, with Lewisham Mental Health Connection members sharing activities, resources, ideas and also joint-funding events in Lewisham.
LMHC members and supporters in 2014 include Quo Vadis Trust, Equinox Lewisham,Bromley & Lewisham Mind, Healthwatch Lewisham, Animals for Therapy, Family Action, Community Connections, Hexagon Housing, Network Arts Lewisham, Voluntary Action Lewisham, This Way Up WellBeing, Volunteer Centre Lewisham, Lewisham Samaritans, Lewisham Parish, Sydenham Garden, Matthew McKenzie (A Caring Mind blog), Penrose and the Mental Health Providers’ Forum.
There have been many highlights of 2014, including collaborative meetings, activities and events – some of them are listed here:
- monthly Meetup groups which are hosted by different LMHC members (this picture was taken at Newtork Arts Lewisham)
- a stall at Phoenix Festival, promoting mental health awareness
- the LMHC launch party in June 2014 – a summer barbecue hosted by Hexagon Housing attended by over 150 people
- a stall at Lewisham People’s Day
- the Lewisham Mental Health Conference 2014, attended by 118 people at the Lewisham Civic Suite
- a Mental Health Community Day, hosted by by St Mary’s Church, Lewisham
- the Lewisham Mental Health Connection Christmas Party, attended by 112 people, with animal therapy, massage and relaxation therapies, a dancing competition, DJs, food, raffle and Mind volunteering opportunities
Members have also publicised activities including: smoking cessation groups (Family Action); volunteering opportunities (Bromley & Lewisham Mind); 5 Ways to Wellbeing session (VAL); a mental health forum on anxiety (Volunteer Centre Lewisham); open day fundraisers (Animal Days Out); a World Mental Health Day film & exhibition photography (Equinox Lewisham); an autumn fair (Sydenham Garden); and a Your Voice Counts meeting (Healthwatch Lewisham).
Thanks to all who have so generously contributed their time, commitment, money and passion to the Lewisham Mental Health Connection in 2014.